- Jesus says, “Do not worry”
- Jesus uses the word worry 6 times
- Anxiety/worry was a problem then, and still exist today
- Each day, Life has difficulties and varying degrees
- We are called not to worry
- Worries are consumed by fear and hinder our trust in God
What can we worry about?
- 40% of things that will never happen
- 30% are about things of the past – which we can’t change
- 12% about criticism of others – mostly untrue
- 10% about health, which gets worse with stress
- 8% about real problems that can be solved
Why people worry
- The ignorant worry because they don’t know enough.
- The knowledgeable worry because they know too much.
- The rich worry because they are afraid of losing what they have.
- The poor worry because they don’t have enough.
- The old worry because they are facing death.
- The young worry because they are facing life ahead
Jesus does not want us to worry
- Not waste our time worrying about life
- Worry, in actuality, is a waste of time! No benefits
The Problem of Worry. It can cause:It affects health, productivity, those around us, and our spiritual Life
Luke 8:14 The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.
- Life’s worries choke us spiritually
Jesus says, “Do not worry”
- It is His will that we are not worry
- Worry is distrust in God
- Worrying is sin; not just our temperament
- When we give into worry we believe God does not care for us and will not
- Worry demonstrates a lack of acceptance that God is in control
So what can we do when we are tempted to worry?
- Look to God
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. 5 Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.
6 This poor man called, and the Lord heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles.
- Those who look to Him are radiant
- Look to God and not just at circumstances; our fears/anxieties
B. Remember God cares for you
1 Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
- He takes care of his creation; birds of the air, lilies of the field
- Are you not much more valuable than birds? (Matt. 6:26)
C. Pray about everything
Philippians 4:6 – 7
- Fear/Anxiety given to God leads peace, security and confidence
D. Submit to His Agenda
- Not my will but your will be done (Matt. 26:39)
- We have our agenda.
- We must trust His agenda or we will worry over things beyond our control
E. Prioritize your life (God first)
Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
- Seek first His Kingdom (His Will)
- Prioritize your life
- Life out of focus because priorities our of focus